Table of contents
Happy January 8, 2023 – Santosha (Contentment)
Good Morning Yogis! Our challengers are learning to remember to incorporate Santosha / contentment with Asana practice. We have discussed that Yoga is a practice, and I find nearly all of the limbs to be challenging. I personally have a hard time with Santosha, finding it especially difficult to “turn off” to just relax and enjoy where I am. So, today you have the choice between Santosha in the present moment, or Santosha with your Asana practice today.
30 Day Challengers
Doing our 30 Day Challenge? Click here for today’s post!
Today’s Positive Practice suggestion
Today’s Daily Yogi Practice for Santosha Day is either bringing Santosha into our Asana practice, or focusing on the present moment, ideally in nature.
Yogis practicing Santosha with their Asana practice – perhaps try a challenging balance pose! Here is a list of balance-focused Asanas and instructions from Yoga Journal. Personally, I am still recovering from a shoulder/neck injury that affects my daily Asana practice, and am working on Santosha with slowly rebuilding my upper-body strength.
For those Yogis practicing finding happiness in the “now” – here are some of our best tips!
- Go on a walk, and perhaps literally stop and smell the roses.
- Take a run and feel the wind on your face.
- Being around water is especially calming, maybe head out for a walk down the beach, around a lake, or by a river.
- Go for a hike and appreciate the beauty around you rather than focusing on finding a perfect selfie spot.
- Since we are still in the days of social distancing, maybe pack a picnic and head to the back yard or a nearby park.
- Read a book on your deck or by the window.
- Sit quietly, and go through all of your senses one by one to appreciate your surroundings.
- Any way that feels right for you to get out of your head, and appreciate the beauty of the world around you.
PS calmly notice when your thoughts drift back to the past or forward to the future. Try to bring yourself back to the present moment by focusing on the sight, sounds, smells, taste, or feel of your surroundings.
Want more Santosha practices? Check out our Santosha Guide!
Check out our Top 5 Yoga Equipment and Yoga Mats!
Do not push yourself to pain on your Yoga Journey! Many Yogis of all levels embrace all kinds of blocks and props. Do not hesitate to grab a couch pillow for extra support, a block for extra support or when you cannot reach the floor, or a strap for extra arm-reach and leverage.
Top 5 Yoga Equipment for Newbies
Share your Practice
Please comment and share how your Santosha Day went on the mat or focusing on living in the now. Please share any favorite practices or tricks! Always remember, be kind!
More Positive Practices
Missed yesterday’s post? Read it here!