Good Morning Yogis – we made it to the weekend! We are in the middle of our special Holiday Yamas Practices! December is the holiday season for many worldwide nations, cultures, and religions, so this ties in with most other holiday seasons our Yogis may celebrate. I will continue my nerdy research through the month and tie in our practices with world holidays if they tie in with our daily practices… please contact me if you have any requests or suggestions!
Holiday Yamas Practice Schedule
We are on our fifth day counting down the 5 Yamas with 5 days of Ahimsa (non-harming), 4 days of Satya (truthfulness), and 3 days of Asteya (non-stealing) before we have a full week of Brahmacharya for the week of Christmas in the United States.. a time that I will enjoy the focus on moderation! We will focus on a different way to practice each of these Yamas each day.
Holiday Season – 12/12
Today is the last day of our Ahimsa (non-harming) practices, so we will practice in a way we have not yet this week – with our thoughts. Many of us suffer from negative self-talk or other negative thoughts, and they do not serve us. There is much to be said for the power of positive thinking. So, today, we will practice kindness with our thoughts today to both ourselves and others. PS it is quite difficult to have a positive thought and negative speech, so our kind thoughts should extend to our words!
Today’s Daily Yogi Practice is to practice kindness with our thoughts and speech for our final Holiday Ahimsa / Non-harming Day!
- Remember the saying “if you do not have anything nice to say, it’s best to say nothing at all” and try to stop negative speech and thoughts in their track about yourself and others.
- To support kind thoughts about others, use this mental trick to be less affected by the negative behavior of others or check out this list for other ways to manage difficult situations and people.
- Check out this great article for 10 types of logical fallacies supporting negative thoughts, and how to correct each kind.
- Keep your inner dialogue today restricted to only kind thoughts about yourself, and do not say anything/think you would not say to a dear loved one! Check out this article if you struggle with negative self-talk.
- If you MUST give constructive criticism or other negative comments, make sure to give a compliment sandwich – positive statements before and after the gentle required critique or suggestion. PS whether this is an effective long-term management technique is debatable – but this is a special positivity practice today, so I am trying to counter any required negativity with a double dose of positivity.
Remember this can be a difficult practice, so be extra kind and patient with yourself today if today’s practice is difficult.. you have to start somewhere, check out some of the tools above for support!
Follow us on Instagram – easy access to our daily positive practices
Plus second daily reminder photo /edit On INSTAGRAM Only
tag us with your Asana pics!
enable notifications for pop-up reminders!
Please comment and share how you decided to practice Ahimsa with your thoughts and speech today. How did it make you feel? Always remember, be kind!