Table of contents
Happy Meditation March 22, 2023 – Santosha (Contentment)
Good Morning Yogis! Today is Santosha or contentment Day. Today we are going to revisit Mindfulness, a concept and practice that relates to Santosha.
Mindfulness is fully being present or “in the moment” without distractions, and observing your inner and/or outer world without judgment. This is a practice embraced by both Eastern Philosophy and Western Psychology as key for both contentment and stress reduction. Many enjoy Yoga because it brings Mindfulness with focus on breath, moving between poses, and being present in our bodies. Mindfulness can help reduce anxiety, remain calm in stressful situations, support positive thinking, and increase the quality of our lives.
More on Mindfulness and Benefits
Psychology Today – Understanding, Practicing, and Benefits of Mindfulness
Mindful – Getting Started with Mindfulness (and Meditation)
Bonus Daily Meditation Challenge
We are in the middle of a bonus Daily Meditation Challenge for March! For our Mindfulness-focused Santosha Day today, our meditation is a Mindfulness Guided Meditation.
Today’s Positive Practice suggestion
Today’s Daily Yogi Practice for Santosha Day is to try to practice Mindfulness. Like many other challenging mental practices in Yoga like Aparigraha, remember this is a journey and be patient with your progress in this difficult practice, especially if it is new for you!
PS calmly notice when your thoughts drift back to the past or forward to the future. Try to bring yourself back to the present moment by focusing on the sight, sounds, smells, taste, or feel of your surroundings.
- Go on a walk, and perhaps literally stop and smell the roses.
- Take a run and feel the wind on your face.
- Being around water is especially calming, maybe head out for a walk down the beach, around a lake, or by a river.
- Go for a hike and appreciate the beauty around you, rather than focusing on finding a perfect selfie spot.
- Take note of your thoughts during a stressful situation, and observe them without judgment rather than getting caught up with them.
- Bring Mindfulness to your eating by paying attention to all five senses, chewing slowly, and truly enjoying every bite!
- Sit quietly, and go through all of your senses one by one to appreciate your surroundings.
- Try a body scan, especially in Shavasana after Asana practice, in a comfortable chair, or before bed.
- Check out more Mindfulness practices from Mindful.org
Please remember Mindfulness is a difficult practice, so please be gentle with yourself!
Want more Santosha practices? Check out our Santosha Guide!
Follow us on Instagram – easy access to our daily positive practices
Plus second daily reminder photo /edit On INSTAGRAM Only
(2nd Insta post currently paused)
tag us with your Asana pics!
enable notifications for pop-up reminders!
More Positive Practices
Missed yesterday’s post? Read it here!
Related Positive Practices
Share your Practice
Please comment and share how your Santosha Day went focusing on Mindfulness. Please share any favorite practices or tricks! Always remember, be kind!
One thought on “Meditation March 2023: Santosha (Contentment) – Mindfulness”