Good morning Yogis! Or actually, perhaps ohayou gozaimasu – おはようございます is more appropriate! We are changing our daily post times to 7am Toyko Time, so Yogis in Asia and Australia can stay coordinated with US and Europe-based Yogis. PS US Yogis – did you know Japan does not use daylight savings time? We now have initial and reminder posts for Instagram – our initial posts will move up to late morning for Yogis in the east / late evening for Yogis in the US, and Instagram reminder posts will post in late morning for Yogis in the US. Daily e-mails are moving forward. For the moment, app notification reminder times will not change, but may move up next week for our intro challenge. This should be our last post time change.. we will keep our post times coordinating with the Date Line!!
Either way, let’s get started for Thursday’s Pranayama Day Practice!
BONUS DAILY MEDITATION CHALLENGE
We are in the middle of a bonus Daily Meditation Challenge for October! For Pranayama Day today, my meditation for the day is a Guided Pranayama Practice – Nadi Shodhana.
This is our last Pranayama Day for our special meditation month, so today we will cover a meditative Pranayama practice – Nadi Shodhana (NAH-dee show-DAH-nuh). This literally translates as “channel-clearing” but we frequently use a more descriptive translation of alternate-nostril breathing. This technique is meant to clear the body’s energy channels, and I find it is super cleansing for the entire respiratory system – you may want to keep some tissues handy for this technique, and do not perform if you have a stuffy nose!
Today’s Daily Yogi Practice is Nadi Shodhana or Channel Clearing, a Pranayama Practice. Most of us have tried diaphragmatic breathing, which is part one of this alternate-nostril breath. We recommend trying this breath technique during meditation! This is also a great calming technique for anxiety.
- Start in a comfortable seat by evaluating your current breath pattern. Place one hand on your chest, and the other on your belly. Breathe in and out, and notice when the hands resting on your belly and chest move to indicate expansion. You SHOULD use your diaphragm and breathe into your belly, so your belly expands on the inhale and contracts on the exhale. Most of us breathe shallowly into our chest only, and our belly hand never moves!
- Breathe in and make sure your belly expands, pushing your hand out as your entire torso fills with air
- Breathe out, contracting the belly, making sure you empty the lungs completely
- Continue breathing in to a full count of 6, and out to a full count of 6, using your diaphragm to fill your lungs with air, and contract the belly to empty lungs completely. Focus on keeping your chest hand fairly still, and using your diaphragm to breathe into your belly.
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama – Channel Clearing / Alternate-Nostril Breathing
- Get in position – you will want to come into a comfortable seat. Place your left hand on your left knee. Bring your right hand into a Vishnu Mudra, folding your first two fingers to your palm (or if this is not comfortable, bring all three center fingers to the palm, or rest your index and middle fingers on your forehead/third eye)
- Use the right thumb to close the right nostril. Exhale and then inhale fully through your left nostril only, keeping your diaphragmatic breath technique, breathing into your belly.
- Move your right ring and pinky finger to close the left nostril. Exhale and then inhale fully through your right nostril only.
- Continue this alternate-nostril breathing for 3-5 minutes. Remember, exhale and inhale, then switch sides.
This technique can be quite confusing – you may want to follow along our recommended video this first time!
Follow us on Instagram – easy access to our daily positive practices
Plus second daily reminder photo /edit On INSTAGRAM Only
(2nd Insta post currently paused)
tag us with your Asana pics!
enable notifications for pop-up reminders!
Please comment and let me know what you thought of this Pranayama exercise! Have you tried this alternate-nostril breath? Do you have another Pranayama practice you particularly enjoy? Always remember, be kind!
One thought on “Pranayama – Breathing – Day 8 – 2020 – Nadi Shodhana Pranayama – Alternate Nostril / Channel Clearing Breath”
I just recently did this alternating nostril breath in a yoga class online. Can’t say I like or dislike it yet but it is an interesting feeling.