Table of contents
Happy Day 6 of our 30 Day Yoga Challenge – Saucha
We have completed introducing and practicing each of the Yamas and hopefully, we have brightened the world we interact with over the last few days. I remember Ni-yamas as IN-Yamas, or our inner ethics. Niyamas (KNEE-ya-mas) are guidelines for our own personal habits or observances. Today we are learning about the first of 5 Niyamas – Suach or Purity.
2nd Limb of Yoga – Niyamas #1 – Saucha (Purity)
Saucha (SOW-cha) literally translates as purity or cleanliness from Sanskrit. This is a logical first for Yoga’s personal observances.. many of us start our day with a shower every morning. Saucha is about purity of the body as well as the mind, and reminds us to take a self-inventory of behaviors in our lives that no longer serve us, like unhealthy habits or negative thoughts.
If I examine my own habits, I am sure my past self who lived in muggy Atlanta and showered every morning would cast a side-eye at my new every-other-day shower habit. Did I become a dirty hippie when I moved from Atlanta to the mountains of Colorado? Perhaps.. it is certainly debatable 🙂 However the main reason is more closely related to the super dry air at 11,000 feet where I live, that was causing excessively dry skin when I was showering more frequently. Daily Saucha practices will vary depending on your own body and your own needs. We will talk about Ayurveda, a sister science to yoga with many cleanliness rituals, during upcoming challenge days.
Today’s Positive Practice suggestion
Today’s Daily Yogi Practice is to pamper yourself with a deep cleaning or other self-care. Need some ideas?
- Enjoy a long shower or bubble bath.
- Maybe give yourself a pedicure, with a warm foot soak and lotion massage after, whether you paint your toes or not.
- Perhaps try a tooth whitening treatment.
- Relax with a face mask and cucumber slices over your eyes.
- If you want to try a new Ayurvedic practice, maybe try oil-pulling (I recommend 2-15 minutes, not 20-30) with coconut oil.
- If the days of social distancing are done, maybe book a last-minute facial or salon treatment of your choice.
- Clean your insides with a clean-eating day – no junk food, or perhaps try another clean eating diet method or cleanse of your choice.
- Whatever practice feels right for you to integrate Saucha into your day.
Want more Self-Care Ideas and hacks?
Check our Self Care Board On Pinterest!
Share your Practice
Please comment to share your experience if you tried one of our suggestions, or one of your own! Always remember, be kind!